Prince of Paulie goes for consecutive stakes wins in Juvenile Colts & Geldings division
After his victory in the Sep. 12 Patrick Wood Stakes, Prince of Paulie established himself as the leader of Michigan’s juvenile male division.
On Saturday, Prince of Paulie will face a new set of challengers to his title in the $50,000 Michigan Sire Stakes, a six furlong race for two-year-old colts and geldings at Pinnacle Race Course.
Prince of Paulie set the bar for the state’s two-year-old males with his one length victory in the Patrick Wood, his most recent start. The Meadow Prayer gelding has won two of his three career starts, all at Pinnacle. J.J. Delgado will ride Prince of Paulie for owner J Mack Enterprise Inc. and trainer Richard Rettele.
The late moving runner-up in the Patrick Wood, Power of Titus, will return for another shot at Prince of Paulie in the Sire Stakes. The Secret Romeo colt took the rail from seven lengths back to finish a length behind the winner in his most recent start. Power of Titus is owned and trained by Del Waite and will be ridden by Alexis Ortiz.
The entrant with the most stakes experience is Kid Kearny Gabe. The West Virginia-bred by The Deputy (Ire) finished second in the Aug. 1 Mountaineer Juvenile at Mountaineer. He enters the Sire Stakes off a sixth place finish in the Aug. 22 Henry P. Mercer Memorial Stakes at Charles Town Races and Slots. Kid Kearny Gabe is owned by Joseph Testa and trained by Ollie Figgins III. Regular rider Joel Hiraldo will have the mount on Saturday.
#. Horse / Jockey / Trainer / Odds
1. Quick Carnage / J Skerrett / J R Jackson / 12-1
2. Meadow Magic / T D Houghton / J R Jackson / 10-1
3. Power of Titus / A Ortiz / D D Waite / 6-1
4. Prince of Paulie / J J Delgado / R J Rettele / 2-1
5. Blazin Factor / R L Knott / R P Inman / 12-1
6. Kid Kearny Gabe / J Hiraldo / O L Figgins III / 3-1
7. Electric Island / G Laurente / R M Gorham / 20-1
8. Hour By Hour / F Mata / J R Jackson / 8-1
9. Bentley Red / A O Stanley / D Cluley / 20-1
10. Kid Klare / A A Marin / D R Barron / 20-1
Hustle Now headlines Juvenile Fillies division
Michigan’s two-year-old fillies division began to sort itself out when Hustle Now outdueled Top Touch in the Sep. 12 Sickle’s Image Stakes.
The division will take another step toward deciding its top runners in Saturday’s $50,000 Michigan Sire Stakes for two-year-old fillies at Pinnacle Race Course.
Hustle Now enters the six furlong Sire Stakes off her 1 1/4 length victory in the Sickle’s Image. The Creative filly brings a two race winning streak into the Sire Stakes, as well as its only stakes victory. Angel Stanley will have the mount aboard Hustle Now for owner Sheffield Farms an trainer Larry Uelmen.
Creative Lite finished third in the Sickle’s Image, well behind the race’s top two finishers. The Creative filly is still a maiden, but hitting the board in the Sickle’s Image gives Creative Lite the second most successful stakes resume in the field. Creative Lite is owned by Sharon Valley Thoroughbreds and trained by James Jackson. Alexis Oritz will be in the saddle.
Also entered is maiden winner De La Crem. The Island Storm filly enters the race off a Sep. 8 maiden special weight victory at Pinnacle after multiple seconds and thirds against the upper echelon of the division. De La Crem is trained by Bob Gorham for owner Mast Throughbreds LLC. Jeffrey Skerrett will have the assignment for Saturday’s race.
#. Horse / Jockey / Trainer / Odds
1. Blitz It Again / No Rider / R D Allen, Sr. / 30-1
2. Hustle Now / A O Stanley / L R Uelmen / 8-5
3. Q Ginger Snap / T D Houghton / S M Adkins / 6-1
4. Fortune In Gold / J J Delgado / D Kueffner / 10-1
5. Q Elegant Storm / W Barnett / J T White / 9-2
6. De La Crem / J Skerrett / R M Gorham / 4-1
7. Tramore Bay / G Laurente / J R Jackson / 30-1
8. Rulers Elusive / A A Marin / J R Jackson / 15-1
9. Creative Lite / A Ortiz / J R Jackson / 8-1
10. Shes A Blitz / F Mata / R D Allen, Sr. / 20-1