Michigan’s jumbled three-year-old fillies division will get one step closer to shaking itself out in Saturday’s $50,000 Michigan Oaks at Pinnacle Race Course.
Eight Michigan-bred fillies will challenge the mile and one sixteenth race, including the winners of Pinnacle’s two stakes races run earlier in the meet for the division. Last year’s Michigan Oaks was won by Baba Booyah.
The field is led by Ann Arbor Stakes winner Top Touch. A daughter of Touch Gold, Top Touch won the Aug. 7 race by 5 1/4 lengths after dueling with Cute Creation, also entered in the Michigan Oaks, and pulling clear in the stretch. Alexis Ortiz will get the leg up from trainer Sandra Adkins for owner Charlie Williams.
After skipping the Ann Arbor, Star Sheba returns to Pinnacle’s stakes ranks after trips to Pennsylvania and West Virginia. The Elusive Hour filly won the Regret Stakes at Pinnacle on July 10 with a wire-to-wire trip. She enters the Michigan Oaks off a runner-up effort in an Aug. 31 allowance race at Mountaineer. Star Sheba is owned by Elkhorn Oaks, Inc. and trained by James Jackson. Tommy Molina will be in irons for Saturday’s race.
Also entered is Robert Gorham-trained De La Crem. The Island Storm filly comes into the Michigan Oaks off a five length front-running score in an Aug. 21 allowance race at Pinnacle. Jeffrey Skerrett will wear the colors of owner Mast Thoroughbreds, LLC in the race.
#. Horse / Jockey / Trainer / Odds
1. Hustle Now / O Bernal / L R Uelmen / 4-1
2. Star Sheba / T Molina / J R Jackson / 7-2
3. Fully Exposed / F Mata / J R Jackson / 10-1
4. Top Touch / A Ortiz / S M Adkins / 8-5
5. Cute Creation / J E Collazo, Jr. / G E Terrien / 15-1
6. De La Crem / J Skerrett / R M Gorham / 10-1
7. Run with Rachel / R Barrios / L Penner / 8-1
8. Skys Red Roxy / J J Delgado / D Cluley / 12-1