Trainer James Jackson’s stable is not lacking for promising two-year-olds, including the three he will saddle in Sunday’s $50,000 Patrick Wood Stakes at Pinnacle Race Course.
A field of eight Michigan-bred juveniles will compete in the six furlong race. The 2009 Patrick Wood was won by Prince of Paulie.
A pair of Jackson’s horses took a similar path to the Patrick Wood. Native Niko and Arctic Key both enter Sunday’s race off unplaced finishes in the Aug. 7 Mountaineer Juvenile Stakes at Mountaineer following impressive maiden scores. Native Niko, a Shaniko colt, earned his diploma in a July 2 maiden special weight race. Arctic Key, by Scrimshaw, won in a clear fashion in a July 17 maiden special weight contest at Pinnacle. Octavio Bernal will be on Native Niko’s back, while Jackson will give Augusto Marin the leg up aboard Arctic Key. Both horses are owned by Elkhorn Oaks, Inc.
Jackson will also send Valient Tenobob to the track in Sunday’s race. The Service Stripe colt is a perfect one-for-one following a driving Sept. 4 maiden special weight win at Pinnacle. Tommy Molina will ride Valient Tenobob for owners Laura Jackson and Red Riding Hood Stables LLC.
Duty Calls also enters the Patrick Wood off one start and one win from an Aug. 1 maiden special weight race at Pinnacle. The Service Stripe gelding will be ridden by Jeffrey Skerrett for owner Mast Thoroughbreds LLC and trainer Robert Gorham.
#. Horse / Jockey / Trainer / Odds
1. Valient Tenobob / T Molina / J R Jackson / 5-2
2. Noequal / F Mata / R D Allen, Sr. / 8-1
3. Duty Calls / J Skerrett / R M Gorham / 6-1
4. Native Niko / O Bernal / J R Jackson / 2-1
5. Equal By Design / W P Rini / L Penner / 12-1
6. Call Me Quincy / R Barrios / J Gold / 20-1
7. Arctic Key / A A Marin / J R Jackson / 7-2
8. Meadow Sailor / A Hernandez-Lopez / R J Rettele / 20-1