Uno Corona seeks first stakes win in Budweiser Futurity
The last day of the meet offers Michigan’s top juveniles one last chance to prove themselves in Sunday’s $20,000 Budweiser Futurity at Mount Pleasant Meadows.
Each horse in the full field of 10 entries will be trying for his or her first stakes breakthrough in the 400-yard event.
One of two horses to post the fastest qualifying time in the Budweiser Futurity Trials was Uno Corona, at 20.39 seconds. The Corona For Me filly has had a globetrotting juvenile campaign, with starts at Manor Downs, The Red Mile, Hoosier Park and Mount Pleasant. The Oil Capital Derby will the first time she has made multiple starts at one track, after winning her trial by 1 1/2 lengths on Sep. 13. Oscar Delgado retains the mount for owner Ignacio Soto and trainer Rolando Almanza.
Fearless Fred also stopped the clocks in his trial with the fastest time of 20.39 seconds. The Fredricksburg gelding won his Sep. 13 trial by two lengths. Carol Rettele trains Fearless Fred for owner Walter Harrison. Richard Rettele will have the mount.
The winner of the third trial, Fishin For A Lady is also entered in Sunday’s final. The Fishin Kisses gelding crossed the wire in 20:53 seconds in his Sep. 13 trial, a length and a half ahead of the runner-up. Fishin for a Lady is owned by R and R Racing Stable LLC and trained by Tony Cunningham. Rafael Fernandez picks up the mount for the Oil Capital Derby.
#. Horse / Jockey / Trainer / Odds
1. Alley Rose 123 / M Holmes / J Hall / 7-1
1A. Eight Below 123 / L Gates / J Hall / 7-1
2. Fishin For A Lady / R V Fernandez / A F Cunningham / 4-1
3. Snaptooit / R Rettele / C Rettele / 10-1
4. Fearless Fred / R Rettele / C Rettele / 2-1
5. Which Wich 501 / N Fritz / A F Cunningham / 8-1
6. Go Little Val / C Garrison / S D Garrison / 12-1
7. Uno Corona / O Delgado / R Almanza / 7-5
8. Playin Favorites / G W Mayhew / C Rettele / 6-1
9. Later Version / N Alcala / C Rettele / 20-1
More stakes previews from getaway day at Mount Pleasant Meadows can be found behind the jump. Just click the link below.